Economics Hidden

Section 1


Go Back

What are the requirements to transfer into LAS Economics?

Students must have completed ECON 102, 103, 202, and MATH 220 or 221; with at least one economics course taken at UIUC; and students must have earned a 2.33/4.0 grade-point average for all economics courses taken at UIUC (substitution courses not counted); MATH 220/221 grade must be a C or higher (transfer courses accepted with qualifying grade). If a student has taken MATH 231 as well, a C or higher in either of the calculus I or calculus II courses would be accepted (even if the other grade is lower). Please see more information on our Transferring to Economics Page and Meet with an Economics Advisor often!

Do you offer an Economics 102 and 103 proficiency exam?

Yes, we provide proficiency exams for these two courses, allowing all current students to take each exam once. Please read our Econ Proficiency Exam Information Page for more information.

Do I have to take Econ 102 before I can take Econ 103. Can I take both classes at the same time?

Econ 102 and Econ 103 can be taken in any order and can be taken at the same time. Some instructors suggest taking ECON 102 prior to 103, but they are both taught in a way allowing you to take them in any sequence.

Do I have to take Econ 302 before I can take Econ 303? Can I take both classes at the same time?

Econ 302 and Econ 303 can be taken in any order and can be taken at the same time. We recommned taking ECON 302 first as this course is a pre-requisite for most of the advanced (400-level) classes.

Can I take Econ 202 and Econ 302 at the same time?

Yes, these courses may be taken at the same time (MATH 220/221 and ECON 102 should be completed before taking ECON 302).

Can I take Econ 202 and Econ 203 at the same time?

No, you must take Econ 202 before you take Econ 203 (they are a sequence and you will need the information from ECON 202 to be sucessful in ECON 203).

I took a statistics course in another department, do I still have to take Econ 202?

There are courses which will substitute for Econ 202, but we HIGHLY recommend that students take Econ 202 if they plan on continuing into Econ 203 as other courses will not properly prepare you for the more advanced course.

The following courses are equivalent to Econ 202 and would substitute for it: ACE 261; FOR 321; GEOG 280; GEOG 470; MATH 161, 408, 461, 463; PSYC 235; SOC 280; EPSY 480; STAT 100; STAT 408; UP 116. AP Credit for STAT 100 is accepted. There may be additional courses we will approve, please discuss with the Department (

  • It is the student's responsibility to assess if they are prepared to move onto the next level of a course after taking a substitution, or if they should take the entire sequence (typically recommended).
  • Please note if you are trying to transfer into Econ, these courses do not count in the Econ Major GPA requirement, and these courses WILL NOT count within the Econ hours required for the major, so additional coursework within economics will be necessary.
  • In most cases we still recommend students take ECON 202 if they intend on continuing into ECON 203 as not all substitute courses prepare students in a similar way as the ones within Economics (some courses are indirect duplicates, such as ECON 202 and STAT 100, so you will not receive credit hours for both, but you will receive hours within Economics for taking ECON 202, and it is highly recommended for the sequence and major).
  • Make sure you speak with an Econ Advisor during an Advising Appointment to go over your Econ major requirements and the best option for your coursework.

Do any other courses on campus substitute for Econ 203?

The courses that substitute for Econ 203 are CPSC 440, MATH 409, MATH 466, MATH 469, and SOC 485.

  • Please note if you are trying to transfer into Econ these courses, do not count in the GPA requirement.
  • These courses WILL NOT count within the Econ hours required for the major, so additional coursework within economics will be necessary.
  • It is the student's responsibility to assess if they are prepared to move onto the next level of a course after taking a substitution, or if they should take the entire sequence (typically recommended).
  • Make sure you speak with an Econ Advisor during an Advising Appointment to go over your Econ major requirements and the best option for your coursework.

I have taken ACE 100, can I use that in place of Econ 102 to fulfill my major requirements?

If you took ACE 100 before you became an econ major, then yes, ACE 100 and ECON 102 are equivalents, but you should meet with a Econ Advisor during an Advising Appointment.While the course does substitute, students should access their knowledge within the subject before moving into a more advanced course requiring ECON 102. You will not receive credit for taking both ECON 102 and ACE 100.

Can I count Econ 102 for both my Economics degree and my Social Sciences General Education requirement?

Yes, both Econ 102 and Econ 103 will fulfill both requirements.

"Can I use a course in my supporting coursework to fulfill the campus Composition II requirement (i.e. B&TW 250)?

Yes. Any course that you take from the Comp II list will count as fulfilling your Comp II requirement, even if it also fills another requirement. Make sure you meet with an Economics Advisor to discuss supporting coursework.

How do I know if a transfer course is equivalent to a course on campus?

Please visit our Transfer Course Information Page to read information on taking courses off-campus.

Can I double major in Economics and Accounting or in Economics and Business Administration?

LAS Economics majors can double major in another LAS program (most commonly: mathematics and political science), but completing a second program of study outside of LAS that is considered a dual-degree and you need to see someone in the LAS College Office about the requirements.

Can I take a course for my supporting coursework credit-no credit?

No. Courses cannot be taken credit/no credit if they are used for supporting coursework.

Can I take above 18 hours or below 12 hours in a semester?

Not usually, but the LAS College Office can approve course overloads and underloads.

I took a course credit-no credit and earned a D+, but my grade report said no credit. Why?

You must earn a grade of C- or better in order to obtain credit for a credit/no-credit class.

I received a D in one of my economics classes, do I need to retake it to get credit?

No, any grade of D- or better is considered passing for graduation requirements. However, you do need an overall GPA of 2.0/4.0 and a major GPA of 2.0/4.0 in order to graduate. We recommend you discuss your courses/grades with an Econ Advisor during an Advising Appointment.

If I retake a course I failed, will my new grade replace the F?

The campus has a Course Replacement option. Please visit the LAS website to read more about repeating courses and all restrictions (there is a form which needs to be completed and a deadline to turn into their office):

What is a Major Plan of Study form?

It is a form that tells the college which courses you need to take to fulfill the economics specific requirements to graduate. It should be filled out by your senior year and it must be signed by an advisor (214 DKH).

Can I change the courses I put on my Major Plan of Study?

Yes, with the approval of an advisor. You must fill out a Major Plan of Study Substitution form available in 214 DKH.

How can I graduate with departmental distinction?

Graduation with departmental distinction requires a 3.25 overall GPA and a 3.5 GPA in economics courses. Students must also complete a research project under the supervision of a faculty member in the Department of Economics and be recommended by that faculty member for graduation with distinction. See an advisor in 214 DKH for additional information.

Do I need an appointment to see an advisor?

Yes, please schedule an appointment using our online calendar.

Even though I'm an LAS Economics major, I want to transfer into BUS, can I have priority in registering for BUS classes like BADM 300, 320, and 310?

No, only students who are currently in BUS have priority for those classes. Advisors will not sign petitions saying BUS classes are required for graduation.

Do I need permission from an advisor before I can register for classes?

No, you are able to register without the approval of an advisor. The advisor is, of course, available each semester and would be happy to talk with you if you have questions or need help.

Can I count an independent study, Econ 399, towards graduation requirements?

Econ 399 will count as hours towards graduation and can make you eligible for departmental distinction, but does NOT count as an Econ class towards the 30 hours you need to graduate.

Do my 300-level Economics courses also count toward my LAS advanced hours requirement?

Yes, any 300-level Econ course will count as advanced hours. Remember you need to take 12 hours of advanced level Econ on this campus.

I feel like I need a tutor for one of my Economics classes, where can I find one?

If you need help understanding the course material, the first step is to see your instructor. All instructors have office hours and are available for help. The department keeps a list in 214 DKH of available tutors and hours. Please note that you cannot hire your current TA in an Econ course as a tutor.

Do I need the permission of an advisor before I can drop an Economics class?

No. Students in LAS can add and drop classes through BANNER until the deadlines without advisor approval. You may not drop below 12 hours, however, without the permission of the LAS office.

Can you give me information about postgraduate plans?

Graduate or Professional Schools

A number of Economics majors go on to graduate or professional schools. Such students should start early in planning which program will best suit their interests and in considering where to apply. They will find it helpful to discuss both questions with the advisor in 214 DKH or faculty members in the field to which they are applying. The Econ Advisor is also available to discuss economics graduate programs with you. Pre-professional career counseling is available through the campus Career Center.


Since Economics is both a social science and a business-related field, it provides useful training for a wide variety of careers. Financially oriented forms (e.g. , insurance companies, banks, and brokerage houses) hire people with economic degrees for such positions as financial analysts. Firms from a wide variety of other businesses also hire economics majors for positions in sales or as management trainees. Similarly, in government there are many agencies at the local, state, national and international level that hire economists. These include the Federal Reserve System, the Treasury Department, the Justice Department, the Commerce Department, the Federal Trade Commission, the International Monetary Fund, the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development, to mention only a few.

Students who expect to enter the job market should visit the Career Center, [] as early as their sophomore year. This office supplies a great deal of useful information about job applications and interviews.

Visiting this office during your sophomore or junior year is encouraged so that you can become aware of the types of firms or agencies visiting campus and interviewing economics majors. You will have opportunities to hear presentations by representatives from a number of these firms. This can provide guidance as you plan your coursework. During your sophomore or junior years, you may want to use this office to find out about and apply for summer internships. Even if you are not successful, the experience gained from the application and interview process will be invaluable as you enter the job search during your senior year.

The placement process for students seeking jobs after graduation starts during the spring of your junior year if at all possible. There will be orientation meetings to help you prepare for your senior year. This early start is important to maximize your chances to find a position of interest to you.