Walter McMahonGo Back
Professor Emeritus of Economics
Education and development, education financing, and macroeconomics
Economics, PhD University of Iowa 1957, Pre and Post Doctorals London School of Economics
Walter W. McMahon came to the University of Illinois in 1957, joining the faculty of the Department of Economics as Associate Professor. His PhD is from the University of Iowa with pre and post-docs at the London School of Economics.
For 44 years, Professor McMahon taught coursework primarily in Human Capital and Micro and Macroeconomic theory and analysis, with applications to the economics of education, educational growth, and education and development. Many of these courses were at the PhD level.
A prolific writer, Professor McMahon produced ten books, and over 100 journal articles. Recent books include, “Higher Learning, Greater Good: the Private and Social Benefits of Higher Education,” Johns Hopkins University Press, 2009, and “Education and Development,” Routledge, 2012. The former was winner of the PROSE award for the best book published in education in 2010.
He had many research grants and served for years as the Departmental representative to the Senate, member of the Senate Executive Committee, and Chair of the Library, Budget, and IBHE Faculty Advisory Committees.
Professor McMahon has consulted on the relation of education to growth and development in many developing countries, for the World Bank in Europe and Canada, and for the OECD, USAID, UK Research Institutes, and others. He was named Distinguished Research Fellow by the National Education Finance Association and has been a visiting fellow at the Brookings Institution and universities across Europe.
Walter W. McMahon retired in 1999, taught three more years, and continues to write, publish, and consult as a well-known expert on the relation of education to development and a highly respected colleague in his department and university.
- "Education's Effects on Life's Chances and on Development: An Overview", BJES, (2013), http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/9juwsVqnFzjZmjJZQD9C/full
- Education and Development, Routledge Ltd. , (2011) http://www.taylorandfrancis.com/books/details/9780415582797/
- "External Benefits of Education", Education Economics (2010), Elsevier
- Higher Learning Greater Good: The Private and Social Benefits of Higher Education, Johns Hopkins University Press, (2009), http://www.amazon.com/Higher-Learning-Greater-Good-Education/dp/0801890535
- "An Analysis of Education Externalities and Development in the Deep South", Contemporary Economic Policy, (2007), 25:3, 459-482.
- Education and Development: Measuring the Social Benefits (2002), Oxford University Press, http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/p2p/endecaSearch.do?keyword=McMahon%2C%20Education%20and%20Development
last updated 8/20/13